Pages

Oaklie

Sunday 3 April 2011

'5,000 words... Is that *all*?'

My dissertation deadline is a week on Wednesday and to be quite frank I am sick to fucking death of people hearing that my dissertation 'only' has to be between five and six thousand words and responding with: "Oh, is that all?" or "Oooh, lucky you! Mine was/is/has to be 15,000 words" blah blah etc etc.

Look, I've asked other people about their dissertations and when they've told me stuff about it I've said things like "Oooh, that's an interesting topic" or "Good luck! I'm sure you're gonna rock it". I have NOT said "Wow, 7,000 words? Sounds like a piece of piss" or similar. It's just getting on my nerves. No offence but my dissertation is only worth 20 credits (1/6th of my final year; 1/12th of my degree in total), perhaps your longer dissertation is worth more credits - THAT'S WHY IT'S LONGER. And anyway you don't know what I have to do for it. It pretty much has to be completely original research (and on Lord of the Rings that's not exactly easy stuff) and well-written, coherent, well-organised and of practically publishable quality. Your 10,000 word dissertation might have to consist of an experiment, with a methodology.

I might be a bit of a bitch for saying this but I'd gladly accept that my dissertation was easier if I got to write 1/5th of it on how I conducted the research for it and my methodology. But I don't, so just shut the fuck up about it, okay? I'm not complaining that the word count is too much so I really don't see any fucking need to bring it up.

Recently this has been the only response to me talking about my dissertation. People don't even ask what I'm writing it on or how it's going: they simply want to know why it's so short. Anyway, just a ranty blog about that reaaaally hacking me off. I feel better now. :]

No comments:

Post a Comment